Immaculate Conception-St. Joseph Admissions Process
Immaculate Conception-St. Joseph School is operated under the auspices of the Catholic Bishop of Chicago, a corporation sole, in the Archdiocese of Chicago.
ICSJ admits students of any race, color, gender, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students in this school. Immaculate Conception-St. Joseph School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender or national and ethnic origin in administration of educational or employment policies, athletic or other school administered programs.
Age of Admission
A child entering school must be in compliance with the age requirements of the State of Illinois regarding age of admission.
Preschool - Students entering preschool must be three (PreK3) or four (PreK4) years old on or before September 1st of the current school year. A child must independently and successfully use the toilet in order to attend school. Pull-Ups or other similar products are not acceptable.
Kindergarten - Students entering kindergarten must be five years old on or before September 1st of the current school year.
1st - 8th Grade - Students entering 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th 6th, 7th, or 8th grades must be six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, or thirteen years old, respectively, on or before September 1st of the current school year.
Qualifications for Admission
An application for admission, a $50.00 non-refundable fee, a copy of the child’s birth certificate and a copy of the child’s baptismal certificate (if applicable) must be submitted to the school by December 7, 2012. Families will be notified of the admission decisions in early March, 2013. The following qualifications will be considered in determining priority for admission:
- Children with a sibling currently enrolled at the school.
- Families who have been active, registered parishioners of Immaculate Conception or St. Joseph Church for at least 2 years.
- Families who are committed to continuing their child’s education at ICSJ through grade eight.
- Families who are registered parishioners of neighboring Catholic churches.
Additionally, students applying to preschool through eighth grades will be required to attend a preschool “play date” or for the older students, a "shadow day". The preschool play date is scheduled for Friday, January 25, 2013. More information about the play date will become available in December. Shadow days for students applying to kindergarten through eighth grades will be scheduled on an individual basis throughout the months of January and February. Please contact the school office for further details.
Students transferring to Immaculate Conception-St. Joseph School mid-year will be admitted based on available space and admission standards. Mid-year admission will require a formal application as well as a review of all school transcripts, standardized test scores and a formal interview.
In accordance with archdiocesan policy, school authorities may amend these policies in order to fulfill the school’s mission to be a model urban educational experience.
Prospective students for kindergarten and above who have a birth date in September (after the September 1st, State of Illinois guideline) may be considered for early entrance on an individual basis if the following criteria are met:
- The child is tested privately by a certified educational consultant or psychologist using the appropriate educational assessments. The educational consultant or psychologist should be approved prior to testing by the ICSJ Administration. This testing and the accompanying report are completed at the expense of the family requesting early entrance.
- Results of testing should indicate that the child is functioning at a minimum of two years in advance of his/her age in all areas.
- The child will be observed in the classroom by a teacher or the principal.
- A decision regarding placement will be made by Immaculate Conception-St. Joseph School in consultation with the parents.